Chapter 5 Social Studies

Think about concrete changes that you, your team, or your faculty might consider making to social studies curriculum and instruction on the basis of this chapter. Be sure to consider the following issues that were brought up:

• Significantly reducing the number of topics to be taught in each social studies course, and dividing them by quarter
  • Carefully selecting textbook pages, current articles, and historical sources to be read for each of the essential topics on approximately a weekly basis
  • Choosing which topics and standards to which you will apply the templates for literacy and interactive lecture in each social studies course
  • Developing, as a team, good higher-order questions and prompts for each common reading
  • Deciding how you will teach and model close, analytical reading in social studies
  • The number and approximate length of argumentative/analytical papers to be assigned for each unit and grading period

5 thoughts on “Chapter 5 Social Studies

1. In second grade we rotate through science and social science. It would be great to have the flexibility to choose fewer topics and go into greater depth. If we were given parameters to decide how to refocus to only a few topics I think the depth of knowledge on topics would be drastically changed. Rather then leaving students with a recall that causes them to remember vaguely touching on topics the material would hopefully be more concrete and the impact would be long lasting.

2. In 3rd grade the expectations were not too in depth so it was easier to take a few topics and expand on them over a several week period. Topics were chosen as they related to GLEs/CCSS and then narrowed down. Reading and writing were almost always a part of the social studies lesson. The 3rd grade typically rotated social studies/science on a 1/2 quarter basis. This allowed more information on a particular topic to be covered.

3. As an adult I appreciate social studies/history so much more than I ever did as a student. I now see a purpose and look stuff I am interested in up. For kids now, I believe the true challenge for teachers is to help them make that jump sooner than I did. I look forward to hearing how those of you who teach history inspire your students and promote that “longing” to know more…

4. Argumentative/analytical papers, oh my! It is really a good idea, we have been practicing debating skills, having them to write out their thoughts first is a really good idea. We are liking the journals, and common scoring guide in HS Social Studies, we have done one common assessment. Will be comparing scores next week during professional development time.

5. I agree that essential topics need to be taught and students need to be writing/arguing/defending their essays/journal topics . I think that more current events need to be incorporated into the curriculum. I am hesitant about using a text although I believe one should be used. There are many who have taught social studies/history without passion thus using the book as a crutch……read this chpt. define vocab and answer questions at the end. This does not empower learning to me.