10 thoughts on “Chapter 2 — watch this video and comment

1. I think in second grade more time on the computers would better prepare students. The internet is largely becoming the place we turn to for information. Whether it be breaking news or chronicled history much can be gleaned from the internet. I think starting in primary grades teaching students how to work a computer, use the internet appropriately and practice researching and reading online would be an improvement.

For us as teachers this would mean more access to computers (either lab or in the classroom).

2. As a global society it is imperative that our students are proficient in early reading skills. We know if students do not reach benchmark in early literacy skills such as the alphabetic principle, fluency and comprehension they can and will be passed through grades until they cannot read as adolescents.
    The greater our knowledge of early literacy skills the better tommorow will be for our students.

3. Our students must have the literacy skills they need to be successful in middle school and high school. In order to be successful in any subject, you have to be able to read. Without those reading skills, students will struggle throughout the rest of their educational career. Without the ability to effectively communicate, as in writing, students will be severely limited in their choices after high school.

Every teacher in every subject needs to focus part of their curriculum on literacy skills. It is everyone’s responsibility!

4. Students need to have a good solid foundation in reading, writing, thinking, problem solving and communication in order to be successful in school and once they leave. In order to better prepare students, we as a whole need to realize that literacy is cross curricular and we could push these skills in all areas.

As a teacher, sometimes it seems that we are trying to get all of the standards met so that it seems there is not much time left for thinking or practicing skills that are learned. To much surface and not enough depth.

5. Literacy is the key element to being a life long learner. Making sense of a variety of information so that others can understand it involves more than literacy. When I think about “rising to the top” of the class, I am looking for the student who is able to communicate their thoughts and ideas verbally (small and large groups) and in writing. In my mind, I know that every student is not going to college, but I know that is the level I am teaching to.

• oops, forgot the part about tools and resources: I need to remember the things I learned in graduate school about reading in the content area:) I have found the text book!

• I too agree that literacy is paramount. We must help students, read, comprehend, and write better to ensure their success in the future. We do not know what they will be doing in 5, 10 or even 20 years, but we can guarantee they will be reading and writing as part of it!

Students especially need support is seeing that skills acquired at one level will be needed and transfer to other areas. I think journaling is a great place to start, as it forces both teachers and students to approach learning differently.

6. nice ppt.
    For me, literacy is essential for students to comprehend “word” problems and know what do to. We (math teachers) use and teach literacy every day and do not even realize it. I might have focused more on the needs of basic skills then to application of those basic skills. Students need skills before the knowledge to apply them.
    I need a never-ending drive and motivation to work with middle school students. I get that only from God. I do not know how others “do” this job without Him. I need to be reminded WHY? many times throughout a school year, and sometimes on repeated days.

7. I feel that if we continue to build the basic reading foundations we will be able to prepare our students. We also need to focus on technology because our society is gravitating more and more towards that direction. I feel it is the role of every teacher, whether art, music, PE, etc. to prepare each and every student. Some teachers may not be ready to step out of their comfort zone to help prepare our students, but it needs to be done. We need to keep in mind that these students will be running our country when we are older. What kind of country do we want to live in? I hope one in which those who run it are great problem solvers and can think on their feet.

8. Students will be prepared if they choose to listen to instructions and are motivated to learn. Sometimes it seems that we are trying to cover to much in the limited time we have.Reading was and still is the primary focus in education. Ironically,when public education began the Bible was the focus and drive behind education,and learning the lessons within the pages were the best preparation for LIFE. the tools we need are the same as years ago:motivation, and the desire to find purpose